Do you want to feel the power of SSD (Solid-state drive) in your laptop? SSD can improve your laptop performance dramatically. I’m creating this post after installing SSD and HDD together in my laptop. I installed my windows OS in my SSD and other files like videos, music, documents in HDD. Before going to use SSD and HDD Together In a Laptop, let me explain the advantages of SSD an over HDD (Hard Disk Drive).
- The access time is pretty much faster than HDD (The access time or response time of a rotating drive is a measure of the time it takes before the drive can actually transfer data). A SSD has access speeds of 35 to 100 micro-seconds, which is nearly 100 times faster. This faster access speed means programs can run more quickly, which is very significant, especially for programs that access large amounts of data often like your operating system. A typical HDD takes about 5,000 to 10,000 micro-seconds to access data.
- An SSD has no moving parts, so it is more likely to keep your data safe in the event that you drop your laptop bag or your system shaken about by an earthquake while it’s operating.
- SSD can improve your laptop/ PC boot time dramatically. My After installing SSD my Lenovo G580 laptop boots within 8 seconds and shutdown in 2 seconds. While using the same system with HDD
To use SSD and HDD in laptop, you need to purchase a HDD caddy ( a small storage container, typically one with divisions). Here we are going to replace Laptop optical DVD drive with HDD caddy. HDD caddy fits in place of the optical drive of the laptop. HDD caddy allows you to connect SSD or 2nd Hard Disk to your laptop and increase precious space without losing your existing data by swapping the existing HDD. Extra removable faceplate also provided. You can use your laptop optical drive’s faceplate to get a very uniform look. Also it supports all laptops including the Unibody laptops & Macbook and compatible with all leading laptop brands such as Dell, HP, Acer etc. 9.5mm & 12mm caddies available. Please check the proper height of your laptop optical drive before ordering!
How To Install SSD and HDD Together In Laptop
Before doing any steps first open your laptop back cover and note down your Optical drive, HDD dimensions. You need to purchase exact matching SSD and HDD caddy to use SSD and HDD perfectly.
- First you need to purchase below items:
– Samsung 120 GB 840 EVO Sata III SSD: You can use any SSD available on the market. Make sure that the ssd dimension will perfectly suite your laptop HDD slot. I recommend Samsung 120GB 2.5″ 840 EVO SATAIII SSD because it gives awesome 540MB read and 530 MB write speed, also it pretty much cheap (around 90$).
– 9.5MM HDD Caddy For Laptop/Macbook/Macbook PRO or 12.7 mm HDD Caddy For Laptop/Macbook/Macbook PRO: There is two types of laptop optical drives are available in the market. One type have 9.5 mm and other have 12.7 mm height. So just measure your optical drive dimension before ordering the HDD Caddy. Removing Optical drive drive laptop is really easy, just open your laptop back cover and remove a screw.
In-order to use SSD and HDD together in a laptop, you should remove optical drive from your computer and place HDD caddy there. I created a video regarding this topic. because i think a video is worth a thousand pictures. So watch and learn how to use SSD and HDD Together In Laptop: