This trick help you open Webp file format in all versions of adobe Photoshop such as Adobe Photoshop 7.0, CS2, CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS6. Also this trick works on regardless the platform, so it will works on all version of Windows (Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8) and Mac Os X (Snow leopard, Mountain Lion and Mavericks). The trick is really very simple. You only need to download .webp plugin and copy it to your adobe Photoshop plug-ins folder.
WebP is a still image format developed by Google. The webp image format helps to reduce image size and speed up loading time of websites using lossless and lossy compression method. The most popular operating system like Windows, Mac and photo editing softwares like Photoshop are yet to support the webp file format. Anyway we can open, edit and export webp format using a plugin created by Brendan Bolles. Follow below steps:
- Download .Webp plugin for Windows
- Extract downloaded zip file using Winzip or Winrar, you will get a folder named ‘WebP_v0.5b5_win‘
- You can find two folders there, ’32-bit’ and ’64-bit’. If you installed 32 bit Windows open ’32-bit folder’ and If you have 64bit widows open ’64 bit folder’. If you are not sure which version you have open System Information windows (Windows Key+ Pause/ Break key or Control Panel\System and Security\System).
- You can find a file named ‘WebP’ in the folder, copy it and paste it your Adobe Photoshop Plugins directory (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins).
- Now launch Photoshop and open Webp format image by dragging it into Photoshop UI. It should work.
Mac Os X Installation
I’m dual booting Windows and Mavericks on my Lenovo G580 laptop, so I need to add support for Adobe Photoshop CS6 on my mac also. Anyway I’m sharing the steps to install Webp format in mac below:
- Download .Webp Plugin For Mac
- After extracting download zip file, you will get ‘WebP_v0.5b5_mac‘ folder. Then open ‘WebP v0.5b5‘ folder and copy ‘WebP.plugin’ to your Photoshop Plugin folder.
- To locate Plugin folder in Mac OS X Photoshop, open Application folder- Adobe Photoshop- Right click on app and select ‘show Package contents’- Contents- Plugin- (Paste here).
- Now test the result, it should work.
I think I explained all steps to open webp files in Photoshop. If you still have any doubts feel free to comment below. I’m happy to help you.